Vincent Van Gogh: The Letters Vincent Van Gogh: The Letters Vincent Van Gogh: The Letters: The Complete Illustrated and Annotated Edition the Complete (Hardcover)
The Letters Vincent Van Gogh: The Letters Vincent Van Gogh: The Letters: The Complete Illustrated and Annotated Edition the Complete
Thames & Hudson, 9780500238653, 2500pp.
Publication Date: November 1, 2009
- Over 4,300 illustrations
- New transcriptions of every known letter to or from Van Gogh
- The complete collection: this edition includes all the letters, both in the Van Gogh Museum and those in other museums, archives and private collections
- New translations render Van Gogh's words more closely than ever before - unadorned, unimproved, faithful and accurate
- Van Gogh's sketches, made throughout the letters, are reproduced here at full size
- New material: previously unknown letters and fragments of letters are published in English here for the first time
- New scholarship: fifteen years of new research have added to scholars' understanding of Van Gogh's life and work. Extensive research has been carried out to identify every work of art mentioned, whether produced by Van Gogh or by other artists.
- Authoritative editing: many omissions and misreadings in previous editions have now been corrected. For the first time the letters are fully annotated.
- Supplementary texts add information about Van Gogh's life, his family, his correspondents, his characteristics as a letter-writer and the context in which the letters were written. Also includes a comprehensive list of materials discussed in the letters, a chronology of his life and a full index
- Exemplary design: the typography and design is by Wim Crouwel, one of Holland's most accomplished book designers of the last fifty years