Sam Francis (Hardcover)
Catalogue Raisonné of Canvas and Panel Paintings, 1946–1994: Edited by Debra Burchett-Lere with featured essay by William C. Agee
University of California Press, 9780520264304, 320pp.
Publication Date: October 25, 2011
* Individual store prices may vary.
This innovative and long-awaited catalogue raisonné brings together, for the first time, all the known paintings on canvas and panel of California-born abstract expressionist Sam Francis (1923–1994) and offers a comprehensive chronicle of his artistic journey. One of the twentieth century’s leading interpreters of light and color, Francis maintained studios not only in New York and Los Angeles, but also in Paris, Bern, and Tokyo, making his reach truly international.
Elegantly boxed, the Sam Francis catalogue raisonné includes a richly illustrated book with informative texts and two DVDs with authoritative entries for the canvas and panel paintings in an easily browsable, groundbreaking format. It offers the ultimate reference on this artist and a vital research tool.
• Color images and documentation for all 1,850-plus paintings on canvas and panel by Francis (hundreds reproduced for the first time) on two DVDs
• A lavish book with an extended essay by Francis scholar William C. Agee and a biographical timeline by catalogue raisonné editor Debra Burchett-Lere
• Rare footage of Francis at work, writings by the artist, and descriptions of his studios and techniques
• Access to electronic updates as they become available
• Easily searchable information in a groundbreaking, twenty-first-century format
About the Author
Debra Burchett-Lere is Director and Curator of the Sam Francis Foundation. William Agee, Evelyn Kranes Kossak Professor of Art History at Hunter College, City University of New York, is coauthor of Coming of Age: American Art, 1850s to 1950s, author of Sam Francis: Paintings 1947-1990, and contributor to many books, including Patrick Henry Bruce, American Modernist: A Catalogue Raisonné.
Praise For Sam Francis: Catalogue Raisonné of Canvas and Panel Paintings, 1946–1994: Edited by Debra Burchett-Lere with featured essay by William C. Agee…
“Writing and scholarship has rarely measured up to [Sam Francis’s] stature. That begins to change with the recent University of California Press publication.”
“Bringing together a “coffee table” book with the functionality of a digital archive has created a remarkable hybrid catalogue.”
“The editor's fact- and anecdote-packed biographical chronology of Francis complements a mellifluous and insightful essay by art historian William C. Agee”
“I have been looking through the recently issued "Sam Francis" and finding myself wowed by the inventiveness, nimble brushwork, and sumptuous color of Francis' works.”
“Now the standard reference source on Francis.”
— John Seed