The Complete Poems of Tibullus (Hardcover)
An En Face Bilingual Edition
University of California Press, 9780520272538, 176pp.
Publication Date: May 21, 2012
Other Editions of This Title:
• The new translation by Rodney Dennis and Michael Putnam conveys to students the elegance and wit of the original poems.
• Ideal for courses on classical literature, classical civilization, Roman history, comparative literature, and the classical tradition and reception.
• The Latin verses will be printed side-by-side with the English text.
• Explanatory notes and a glossary elucidate context and describe key names, places, and events.
• An introduction by Julia Haig Gaisser provides the necessary historical and social background to the poet’s life and works.
• Includes the poems of Sulpicia and Lygdamus, transmitted with the text of Tibullus and formerly ascribed to him.
About the Author
Michael C. J. Putnam is MacMillan Professor of Classics and Professor of Comparative Literature emeritus at Brown University. His many other books include Virgil’s Epic Designs and Horace’s Carmen Saeculare , Poetic Interplay, and A Companion to Virgil’s Aeneid and its Tradition.
Julia Haig Gaisser Eugenia Chase Guild Professor Emerita in the Humanities and Professor Emerita of Latin at Bryn Mawr College. Her book The Fortunes of Apuleius and the Golden Ass won the 2009 Charles J. Goodwin Award of Merit, the highest award for a work of Classics, given by the American Philological Association. Her other books include Catullus in Englishand Pierio Valeriano on the Ill-fortune of Learned Men.
Praise For The Complete Poems of Tibullus: An En Face Bilingual Edition…
— Paul Allen Miller, University of South Carolina