The Girl from the Train (Paperback)
Thomas Nelson, 9780529102379, 384pp.
Publication Date: November 3, 2015
Six-year-old Gretl Schmidt is on a train bound for Aushwitz. Jak b Kowalski is planting a bomb on the tracks.
As World War II draws to a close, Jak b fights with the Polish resistance against the crushing forces of Germany and Russia. They intend to destroy a German troop transport, but Gretl's unscheduled train reaches the bomb first.
Gretl is the only survivor. Though spared from the concentration camp, the orphaned German Jew finds herself lost in a country hostile to her people. When Jak b discovers her, guilt and fatherly compassion prompt him to take her in. For three years, the young man and little girl form a bond over the secrets they must hide from his Catholic family.
But she can't stay with him forever. Jak b sends Gretl to South Africa, where German war orphans are promised bright futures with adoptive Protestant families--so long as Gretl's Jewish roots, Catholic education, and connections to communist Poland are never discovered.
Separated by continents, politics, religion, language, and years, Jak b and Gretl will likely never see each other again. But the events they have both survived and their belief that the human spirit can triumph over the ravages of war have formed a bond of love that no circumstances can overcome.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- How does Gretl experience a conflicted identity when we meet her in the opening chapters of the novel, and how does this conflict of identity resolve throughout the course of the story?generic viagra price canada
- How does Jakób’s own journey mirror Gretl’s, and in what way are their journeys different?generic viagra price canada
- What did you learn about the political situation in WWII and post-WWII Poland that you didn’t know before reading this book?generic viagra price canada
- What did you learn about the political situation in WWII and post-WWII South Africa that you didn’t know before reading this book?generic viagra price canada
- Discuss the role of Grandpa John in the story. How does he serve as a bridge for Gretl between her past history and her present life? Why is their relationship unique and special?generic viagra price canada