Linger (Shiver, Book 2) (Hardcover)
Scholastic Press, 9780545123280, 368pp.
Publication Date: July 1, 2010
Other Editions of This Title:
Hardcover, Large Print (2/2/2011)
Pre-Recorded Audio Player (7/20/2010)
Autumn 2010 Kids' Next List
— Jackie Blem, Tattered Cover Bookstore, Denver, CO
View the List
About the Author
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- In Shiver, Grace’s parents seemed to like Sam. From the beginning of Linger, it seems like they don’t like him anymore. Why do you think their opinion of him changes?
- How is Grace’s relationship with her parents different in Linger than it was in Shiver?
- Do you think Grace’s parents have a right to place restrictions on her after they have been absent for so much of Grace’s teenage years?
- Do you think Grace was justified in breaking her parents’ rules by going to the studio with Sam? Why or why not?
- Grace’s mother keeps telling Grace that in five years she will have forgotten Sam’s name. Why would Grace’s mother say that, and how might she be trying to protect her daughter?
- If you were Grace’s friend, would you be worried about Grace’s state of mind or her close relationship with Sam? What would you do to help Grace?
- Cole is very intelligent, but he is also suicidal, unstable—and famous. Why do you think Beck chose him to become a werewolf and look after the pack?
- For Cole, becoming a werewolf was an escape from his past. Do you think this is an appropriate way to deal with your problems? What would be a better way for Cole to deal with his insecurities and drug addiction?
- How is Cole’s relationship with Isabel different from Sam’s relationship with Grace? Do you think they love each other?
- Isabel makes it a point to tell Cole, “I’m not a nice person.” Do you think Isabel is protecting herself by saying this? Do you think Isabel really isn’t a nice person?
- Why do you think Victor’s pituitary problem would affect his ability to stay a wolf?
- There is a lot of debate in Linger about whether the process of turning into a werewolf is science or magic. Do you think the explanation is all science, all magic, or a little bit of both?
- What difference would it make for people if they found out that becoming a werewolf is the result of science or magic? How might one answer be better than the other?
- Cole curses at Grace’s father at the hospital. Do you think he had a right to do that?
- Why do you think Sam decided not to turn back into a wolf in order to stay with Grace? Was he being selfish?