The Chronic Pain Solution: Your Personal Path to Pain Relief (Paperback)
Your Personal Path to Pain Relief
Bantam, 9780553381115, 464pp.
Publication Date: September 30, 2003
This remarkable book, by one of the leading pain specialists in America, puts in your hands the resources usually available only at the most sophisticated pain clinics. Recent research has shown that the solution to the puzzle of pain is almost never one "magic bullet" treatment. What works is a combination of therapies--often three or more--customized to your individual needs. Some drugs or surgeries can actually make your condition worse, while surprisingly gentle alternative therapies can provide measurable, lasting relief. The key is knowing how to combine the best of both conventional and alternative medicine.
Dr. James Dillard offers you what few physicians today are trained to provide:
- fascinating new information on how pain affects your body and mind--including six myths that can keep you from healing
- a detailed guide to more than 40 treatment methods, from state-of-the-art microsurgery and pharmaceuticals to acupuncture,
yoga, and biofeedback
- individual chapters on the 12 most common types of pain, from arthritis and back pain to fibromyalgia and migraines--clearly indicating what works and what to avoid
- The Pain-Control Diet--and 20 top supplements for pain relief
- how to build your pain-management team and get what you need from your insurance company
- checklists, self-evaluations, and guides for tracking treatment
- special chapters on children, seniors, pregnant women, terminal pain--plus how you can help a loved one in pain
You can take back your life from pain. The Chronic Pain Solution will guide you every step of the way.
From the Hardcover edition.
About the Author
Praise For The Chronic Pain Solution: Your Personal Path to Pain Relief…
“A superb book! At once medically precise and warmly accessible, The Chronic Pain Solution wages a successful frontal assault on pain, perhaps the greatest obstacle to wellness in our society. A must read for patients--and their doctors.”
--Mehmet Oz, M.D., Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, author of Healing from the Heart
“A fine, useful, and highly readable guide to the important field of integrative pain treatment.”
--James S. Gordon, M.D., Director, the Center for Mind-Body Medicine; author of Manifesto for a New Medicine
“The best book I’ve ever read on how to approach and relieve chronic pain. I highly recommend this wise and practical book to the millions who live with pain.”
--Christiane Northrup, M.D.,author of Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom and The Wisdom of Menopause