The Connector Manager
Why Some Leaders Build Exceptional Talent - and Others Don't
Other Editions of This Title:
Digital Audiobook (9/16/2019)
Based on a first-of-its-kind, wide-ranging global study of over 9,000 people, analysts at the global research and advisory firm Gartner were able to classify all managers into one of four types:
• Teacher managers, who develop employees' skills based on their own expertise and direct their development along a similar track to their own.
• Cheerleader managers, who give positive feedback while taking a general hands-off approach to employee development.
• Always-on managers, who provide constant, frequent feedback and coaching on all aspects of the employee's performance.
• Connector managers, who provide feedback in their area of expertise while connecting employees to others in the team or organization who are better suited to address specific needs.
Although the four types of managers are more or less evenly distributed, the Connector manager consistently outperforms the others by a significant margin. Meanwhile, Always-on managers tend to see their employees struggle to grow within the organization. Why is that?
Drawing on their groundbreaking data-driven research, as well as in-depth case studies and extensive interviews with managers and employees at companies like IBM, Accenture, and eBay, the authors show what behaviors define a Connector manager, and why they are able to build powerhouse teams. They also show why other types of managers fail to be equally effective, and how they can incorporate behaviors of Connector managers in order to be more effective at building teams.
Praise For The Connector Manager: Why Some Leaders Build Exceptional Talent - and Others Don't…
- LASZLO BOCK, co-founder and CEO of Humu, former SVP of People Operations at Google, author of Work Rules!
“Here’s the bad news, managers: You can’t do it all. But here’s the good news: Jaime Roca and Sari Wilde say you don’t have to. This book shows how to get the most of your people by connecting them — to each other and to new opportunities. If you’re looking to do less and accomplish more, The Connector Manager is your roadmap.”
- DANIEL H. PINK, author of When, To Sell Is Human, and Drive
“A much-needed reexamination of management – every manager should read this aspirational and actionable book.”
- AMY C. EDMONDSON, Professor at Harvard Business School and author of The Fearless Organization
"A great boss recognizes that he's not the expert on everything, and that his team's skills and talents are often greater than his own. How can he harness and grow those talents for maximum effectiveness? The Connector Manager offers a compelling answer."
- SYDNEY FINKELSTEIN, Steven Roth Professor of Management at Dartmouth College, author of Superbosses and Why Smart Executives Fail
“Everybody knows that the best managers are the ones who deliver ‘always-on’ feedback. But what if everybody is wrong? In The Connector Manager, Roca and Wilde deliver a death blow to the conventional management wisdom, arguing with convincing quantitative and qualitative data that always-on feedback isn’t just an unproductive management approach, but a counterproductive one. This is a head-snapping and hugely engaging book that will make even the most seasoned leaders and management gurus question what they preach.”
- MATT DIXON, Chief Product & Research Officer at Tethr, coauthor of The Challenger Sale, The Challenger Customer and The Effortless Experience
"In today’s complex world, connections are more critical than ever. The Connector Manager uses data, insight, and stories to create a compelling case for why the best leaders leverage critical connections to build their teams. This book is a great resource to enable a high-performing team.”
- MICHAEL ARENA, former Chief Talent Officer at GM, author of Adaptive Space
"The Connector Manager is a rare "Ah ha" book. You'll be privy to the surprising practices of a small pool of managers who are exceptional talent developers. What's more important is that you will learn the steps to becoming one yourself...and with remarkable efficiency in your busy day.
- JAY A. CONGER, coauthor of The High Potential's Advantage
“The Connector Manager teaches leaders how to use the power of connections for development. It’s a fantastic read that is both aspirational and actionable for leaders today.”
- ROB CROSS, Edward A. Madden Professor of Global Leadership at Babson College, author of The Hidden Power of Social Networks
"We teach our students that management can be a noble profession, and The Connector Manager provides a road map to that ambition. By describing the ways that that such managers can have an outsize impact on their employees, their teams, and their entire organizations, the authors are really showing us how great managers can change the world."
- DEREK VAN BEVER, Senior Lecturer and Director at The Forum for Growth & Innovation, Harvard Business School
Portfolio, 9780593083826, 272pp.
Publication Date: September 17, 2019
About the Author
Sari Wilde is a Managing Vice President at Gartner, managing global teams focused on creating research and products on leadership and talent management.