OpenSUSE Linux Unleashed [With DVD]
List Price: 49.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
DVD Includes openSUSE 10.3 "openSUSE Linux Unleashed" presents comprehensive coverage of the community version of SUSE Linux, one of the most popular and most complete Linux distributions in the world. This book provides detailed information on installing, using, and administering openSUSE. You'll learn how to unleash the vast array of software products included in openSUSE so that you can use it as a desktop computer, as a professional workstation, or as a powerful server. "openSUSE Linux Unleashed" includes a broad range of coverage: from using software you need everyday--such as email clients, web browsers, and productivity software including the OpenOffice.org productivity suite--to configuring and administering a wide range of network and server products, such as the Apache web server, and MySQL database. Additionally, this book provides details on openSUSE's acclaimed YaST administration tools, web programming, networking, and choosing from a wide selection of graphical interfaces and desktop environments, including both KDE and GNOME.
- Plan your openSUSE installation based on your computing needs
- Configure and use the X Window System--the Linux graphical interface--and the two primary desktop environments for Linux--KDE and GNOME
- Run OpenOffice.org and other productivity tools
- Create your own websites and weblogs
- Manage the kernel and its modules
- Set up networks
- Run the Apache web server
- Use the LAMP web programming suite: Linux, Apache, MySQL, and the scripting languages Perl, Python, and PHP
- Play music, video, and games
- Preserve an existing Windows installation for dual-boot launching
- The complete openSUSE 10.3 binary distribution--the equivalent of five CDs--packed with thousands of applications and utilities
- The latest Apache web server
- Samba for Windows-based file and printer sharing
- The OpenOffice.org office productivity suite
- Games for the desktop
- Hundreds of additional programs, utilities, and development tools
Sams, 9780672329456, 708pp.
Publication Date: October 29, 2007
About the Author
Michael McCallister has spent all of this century and a part of the last making computing easier for the full spectrum of user levels and experience. He is currently a technical writing consultant with Compuware. Michael has run a SuSE Linux desktop at home since version 5.3 and knows firsthand how far the distribution has come over the years. Besides "SUSE Linux 10 Unleashed," he is the author of "Computer Certification Handbook, "published by Arco Press (2000), and his technology stories have been published in places such as "Linux Journal, SearchEnterpriseLinux.com, Java Developer's Journal, Internet Voyager, "and "Isthmus. "He is a senior member of the Society for Technical Communication and the National Writers Union. He blogs about working, writing and open source at "Notes from the Metaverse "(http: //metaverse.wordpress.com).
Not Currently Available for Direct Purchase