30-Second Literature (Hardcover)
The 50 most important forms, genres and styles, each explained in half a minute (30 Second)
Ivy Press, 9780711254671, 160pp.
Publication Date: March 3, 2020
Part of the 30-Second series, this introductory guide to literature is split into 7 chapters that cover:
- The History of Literature – from Sanskrit to Modernism
- The Novel – in all its glorious genres
- Literary Prose – non-fiction from diaries to philosophies
- Poetry – from the sonnet to the haiku
- Drama – interesting theatrical forms and genres
- Literary Devices – the techniques authors use in their works
- Literary Styles – the features and history of different styles of writing
Literature is not just any written work; it is work that has stood the test of time, that is most widely thought to be of lasting merit. Just how particular books are elevated to literary status, reflects the values and judgements of society and mirrors the development of civilisation. This book is a broad overview of the multitude of voices used to describe our human experience.
If you like this, you might also be interested in 30-Second Mythology . . .
About the Author
Ella Berthoud is a bibliotherapist at the international School of Life, prescribing literary cures to readers everywhere. She is the author of The Art of Mindful Reading,The Novel Cure and The Story Cure, and read English Literature at Cambridge University. Ella regularly gives talks on reading ailments and mindful reading at bookstores and festivals across the UK. She lives with her family in West Sussex, England.