Wizard of Oz Scanimation (Hardcover)
10 Classic Scenes from Over the Rainbow
Workman Publishing Company, 9780761163732, 11pp.
Publication Date: September 1, 2011
• Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion, and Toto dancing down the Yellow Brick Road
• Dorothy’s farmhouse flying upward in a twister
• Miss Gulch, on her bicycle in the tornado, transforming into a witch on a broomstick
• The Lollipop Kids strutting from side to side
• The Scarecrow doing a wacky dance
• The Tin Man swaying from side to side; Dorothy and the Scarecrow flanking him as if to catch him
• The Wicked Witch of the West waving on a sky full of flying monkeys
• The Wicked Witch of the West melting
• The Great and Powerful Oz—and the man behind the curtain frantically pulling levers
• A close-up of Dorothy clicking her ruby slippers
Like Star Wars before it, The Wizard of Oz is a marriage of phenomenal Scanimation and one of the most beloved movies of all time. It also continues to be a vital icon: Warner’s 2009 release of the 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition won DVD critics’ and numerous other awards; Warner Brothers Kids just launched wizardofozkids.com; and in 2011, Andrew Lloyd Webber is staging The Wizard of Oz on Broadway. Now it’s found yet new life through Rufus Butler Seder With equal parts love and skill, he’s created 10 compelling Scanimations, taking us over the rainbow.
A glittering, ruby-red cover is the final, delectable touch.
About the Author
Rufus Butler Seder is an optical genius whose first significant invention was Lifetiles, glass-walled murals that appear to come to life when the viewer walks by. He’s installed them at the Smithsonian, SeaWorld, Union Station, and other museums, aquariums, train stations, and ocean liners around the world. Next came Scanimation, and his company EyeThink, Inc., a business that produces a line of toys and gifts using technologies he’s invented. Mr. Seder lives in Boston, Massachusetts.