The Recovery Book (Paperback)
Answers to All Your Questions about Addiction and Alcoholism and Finding Health and Happiness in Sobriety
Workman Publishing, 9780761176114, 624pp.
Publication Date: September 9, 2014
"A classic. Read it. Use it. It can help guide you step by step into the bright light of the world of recovery."
--from the Foreword by Harry Haroutunian, M.D., Physician Director, Betty Ford Center
"The Recovery Book is the Bible of recovery. Everything you need to know you will find in here."
--Neil Scott, host, Recovery Coast to Coast radio
Hope, support, and a clear road map for people with drug or alcohol addiction.
Announcing a completely revised and updated second edition of The Recovery Book, the Bible of addiction recovery. The Recovery Book provides a direct and easy-to-follow road map to every step in the recovery process, from the momentous decision to quit to the emotional, physical, and spiritual issues that arise along the way. Its comprehensive and effective advice speaks to people with addiction, their loved ones, and addiction professionals who need a proven, trusted resource and a supportive voice.
The new edition of The Recovery Book features the revolutionary Recovery Zone System, which divides a life in recovery into three chronological zones and provides guidance on exactly what to do in each zone. First is the Red Zone, where the reader is encouraged to stop everything, activate their recovery and save their life. Next is the Yellow Zone, where the reader can begin to rebuild a life that was torn apart by addiction. Finally, the reader reaches the Green Zone, where he can enjoy a life a recovery and help others. Readers also learn how to use the Recovery Zone ReCheck, a simple, yet very effective relapse prevention tool. The Recovery Zone System works hand-in-hand with the 12-step philosophy and all other recovery methods.
In addition, The Recovery Book covers new knowledge about addiction mechanisms and neuroplasticity, explaining how alcohol and drugs alter the brain. The authors outline a simple daily practice, called TAMERS, that helps people to use those same processes to "remold their brains" around recovery, eventually making sobriety a routine way of life.
Written by Al J. Mooney, M.D., a recovery activist who speaks internationally on recovery, and health journalists Catherine Dold and Howard Eisenberg, The Recovery Book covers all the latest in addiction science and recovery methods.
In 26 chapters and over 600 pages, The Recovery Book tackles issues such as:
- Committing to Recovery: Identifying and accepting the problem; deciding to get sober.
- Treatment Options: Extensive information on all current options, and how to choose a program.
- AA and other 12-Step Fellowships: How to get involved in a mutual-support group and what it can do for you.
- Addiction Science and Neuroplasticity: How alcohol and drugs alter pathways in the brain, and how to use the same processes to remold the brain around recovery.
- Relapse Prevention: The Recovery Zone ReCheck, a simple new technique to anticipate and avoid relapses.
- Rebuilding Your Life: How to handle relationships, socializing, work, education, and finances.
- Physical and Mental Health: Tips for getting healthy; how to handle common ailments.
- Pain Control: How to deal with pain in recovery; how to avoid a relapse if you need pain control for surgery or emergency care.
- Family and Friends: How you can help a loved one with addiction, and how you can help yourself.
- Raising Substance-Free Kids: How to "addiction-proof" your child.
- The Epidemic of Prescription Drugs: Now a bigger problem than illegal drugs.
Dr. Al J. Mooney has been helping alcoholics and addicts get their lives back for more than thirty years, using both his professional and personal experiences at his family's treatment center, Willingway, and most recently through his work as medical director for The Healing Place of Wake County (NC), a homeless shelter.
The Recovery Book will help millions gain control of their mind, their body, their life, and their happiness.