Webster's New World Compact Desk Dictionary and Style Guide, Second Edition (Hardcover)
Webster's New World, 9780764563379, 704pp.
Publication Date: July 12, 2002
* Succinct explanations of grammar and punctuation help you avoid common errors
* Expert advice on word usage adds polish to your writing.
* The clear, readable style guide includes numerous examples of the "do's and don'ts" of effective writing
* Helpful tables give quick access to frequently needed facts, from capitals of the states to measurement conversions
* Widely used scientific, technical, professional, and business terms
* Frequently used foreign words and phrases
* Common abbreviations
* Guide to pronunciation
* Concise word origins
* Basic rules of grammar, punctuation, and capitalization
* Proper expression of numbers
* Spelling and hyphenation of compound words
* Guide to proper use of frequently misused words and phrases
* Handy reference tables
About the Author
The Editors of the Webster’s New World Dictionaries are a team of professional lexicographers with advanced degrees in various scholarly fields. The editors familiarize themselves with the vocabulary in specific subject areas, collect materials on new developments and usage, and work with expert consultants to ensure that the content of our publications is as accurate and as up-to-date as possible.