The Diplomat's Wife (Kommandant's Girl #2) (Paperback)
Mira Books, 9780778325123, 360pp.
Publication Date: April 29, 2008
List Price: 16.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
From the New York Times bestselling author of The Orphan's Tale How have I been lucky enough to come here, to be alive, when so many others are not? I should have died.... But I am here. 1945. Surviving the brutality of a Nazi prison camp, Marta Nederman is lucky to have escaped with her life. Recovering from the horror, she meets Paul, an American soldier who gives her hope of a happier future. But their plans to meet in London are dashed when Paul's plane crashes. Devastated and pregnant, Marta marries Simon, a caring British diplomat, and glimpses the joy that home and family can bring. But her happiness is threatened when she learns of a Communist spy in British intelligence, and that the one person who can expose the traitor is connected to her past.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- How do you think Marta's experiences during the war have affected her?
- What do you think draws Marta and Paul together so powerfully?
- How did Marta's character change/evolve throughout the story?
- What was Marta's greatest strength? Her greatest flaw?
- How does Marta and Paul's dynamic change through the book?
- What was Marta's relationship like with the places and people from her past?
- Did you agree with Marta's choices in the book? Why or why not?
- How was Marta's life affected by the secrets that she kept?
- How did Marta and Emma's views of one another change in this book?