Things We Have in Common (Hardcover)
Mira Books, 9780778326854, 304pp.
Publication Date: January 31, 2017
Other Editions of This Title:
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
1. The novel is written in the second-person point of view. How did this affect your reading experience? Why do you think the author chose this POV?
2. Do you think the author intends the “We” in the title to include you?
3. Yasmin is a very introspective character, often imagining scenarios removed from her daily life. How does this trait shape her as a narrator? Does this make her unreliable? What external factors contribute to her fantasies?
4. Why do you think Yasmin fantasizes about Alice’s disappearance? What emotional need, if any, does this fulfill for her?
5. How does Yasmin’s life at school affect her life at home? How does her home life affect her behavior at school?
6. What roles does Mr Caldwell fill in Yasmin’s life? What roles does she fill in his?
7. Does this novel challenge our understanding of guilt and innocence? Who is the perpetrator? Who is the victim?
8. In what ways is this novel a search for belonging?
9. What did you think of the ending? What did you make of the very last sentence?
10. Would you befriend Yasmin?