Spices & Seasons (Hardcover)
Simple, Sustainable Indian Flavors
Hippocrene Books, 9780781813310, 373pp.
Publication Date: May 1, 2014
Rinku Bhattacharya combines her two great loves--Indian cooking and sustainable living--to give readers a simple, accessible way to cook seasonally, locally, and flavorfully. Inspired by the bounty of local produce, mostly from her own backyard, Rinku created these recipes for busy, time-strapped home cooks who want to blend Indian flavors into nutritious family meals.
Arranged in chapters from appetizers through desserts, Spices & Seasons includes everything from small bites, soups, seafood, meat and poultry, and vegetables, to condiments, breads, and sweets.
Included are more than 150 creative recipes with plenty of gluten-free and vegetarian options; detailed sections on spices, ingredients, and utensils; and "green tips" for making your kitchen eco-friendly.
- Mango and Goat Cheese Mini Crisps
- Crisped Okra with Dry Spice Rub
- Red Harvest Masala Cornish Hens
- Black Bean, Corn and Nectarine Salad
- Sweet Potato Soup with Saffron, Sage and Nutmeg
- Smoky Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Puree
- Tandoori Spice Roasted Baby Potatoes with Mint
- Coastal Coconut and Tamarind Fish Curry
- Cardamom-Scented Beet Halwa
As exotic and enticing as these recipes sound, the ingredients are easily found and the instructions are simple. Rinku encourages readers to explore the bounty of their local farms and markets, and embrace the rich flavors of India to cook food that is nutritious, healthy, seasonal and most importantly, delicious.