Profiles in Courage for Our Time (Hardcover)
Hyperion, 9780786867936, 354pp.
Publication Date: May 1, 2002
List Price: 23.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Not Currently Available for Direct Purchase
In the spirit of John F. Kennedy's Pulitzer Prize-winning Profiles in Courage, 13 essays honoring modern-day political heroes, penned by a collection of stellar authors Nearly half a century after then-Senator John F. Kennedy was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Profiles in Courage, his masterful portrait of American heroes, the words "politician" and "courage" are rarely uttered in the same breath. But, as this celebration of modern political bravery amply demonstrates, there are countless examples of heroism among today's elected officials. Profiles in Courage for Our Time pays tribute to 13 such heroes, each a recipient of the prestigious Profile in Courage award. The essays' authors are as noteworthy as their subjects: Anna Quindlen writes about Governor James Florio's passing of the strictest gun control law in the nation; Al Hunt details Russell Feingold and John McCain's efforts to reform political financing; Bob Woodward writes on former President Gerald Ford's controversial decision of conscience to pardon former President Richard Nixon. "The Profiles in Courage Award seeks to honor those whose lives of service prove that politics can be a noble profession. We hope that Americans realize that there are men and women serving at all levels of our government who are legends of our time." --Caroline Kennedy Renowned authors and award-winners featured in Profiles in Courage for Our Time
- Michael Beschloss on Carl Elliot, Sr.
- Bill Kovach on Charles Weltner
- E. J. Dionne on Lowell Weicker, Jr.
- Anna Quindlen on James Florio
- Pete Hamill on Henry Gonzalez
- Steve Roberts on Michael Synar
- Marian Wright Edelman on Corkin Cherubini
- Maryanne Vollers on Charles Price
- Ron Suskind on Nickolas C. Murnion
- Michael Daly on Irish Peace Makers
- Anthony Walton on Hilda Solis
- Al Hunt on Russell Feingold and John McCain
- Teresa Carpenter on John Lewis
- Bob Woodward on Gerald Ford
About the Author
Caroline Kennedy is the editor of the New York Times bestselling A Patriot's Handbook, Profiles in Courage for Our Time, The Best-Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, A Family of Poems, A Family Christmas, and the coauthor of The Right to Privacy and In Our Defense: The Bill of Rights in Action. She serves as the Vice Chair of the Fund for Public Schools in New York City and President of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation. She lives in New York City.