Misinformation Concerning Child Sexual Abuse and Adult Survivors (Paperback)
Routledge, 9780789019011, 238pp.
Publication Date: March 28, 2002
Other Editions of This Title:
List Price: 48.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Successfully navigate the minefield of misinformation that can prevent justice from being done in child sexual abuse cases From the Foreword, by Robert Geffner, PhD, editor of the Journal of Child Sexual Abuse: "Too often, the public and some professionals have been misled by media publicity and articles . . . that appear scientific, but in reality, are biased opinions or over-generalized research. Forensic cases are being decided in many courts based upon the recommendations of so-called 'expert witnesses'who do not actually know the clinical research or understand the dynamics of such abusive relationships."This much-needed book points out and corrects misinformation that everyone who works with victims, offenders, or families in which sexual abuse has occurred needs to understand clearly. Especially vital in today's political climate, Misinformation Concerning Child Sexual Abuse and Adult Survivors gives you state-of-the-science information on such myths as "false memory syndrome," "recovered memory therapy," and the "lack of harm" to some sexually abused boys.Misinformation Concerning Child Sexual Abuse and Adult Survivors examines:
- forensic issues, including the "false memory" defense and how the long-term impact of childhood sexual abuse is often misrepresented in court
- three separate expert examinations of Rind, Tromovitch, and Bauserman's well-known--and often misrepresented--review of long-term child sexual abuse outcomes
- treatment recommendations and guidelines for addressing the memory controversy in clinical practice
- the fascinating case history/cautionary tale of the child molester Robert Halsey, who was convicted and sentenced to two life sentences in 1993, and how public and academic resources were misused to claim he was wrongly convicted
Not Currently Available for Direct Purchase