The Winter People (Paperback)
Anchor Books, 9780804169967, 400pp.
Publication Date: January 6, 2015
February 2014 Indie Next List
— Dianah Hughley, Powell's Books, Inc, Portland, OR
View the List
The New York Times bestselling author of Promise Not to Tell returns with a simmering psychological thriller about ghostly secrets, dark choices, and the unbreakable bond between mothers and daughters.
West Hall, Vermont, has always been a town of strange disappearances and old legends. The most mysterious is that of Sara Harrison Shea, who, in 1908, was found dead in the field behind her house just months after the tragic death of her daughter.
About the Author
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- At the heart of the novel is the longing to be reunited with a loved one who has died. How would you respond to this possibility, even if you could only see your beloved for one week? What risks would you take to take to experience such a reunion?generic viagra price canada
- What was it like to read Sara’s diary, alternating with scenes from other time periods? Did Sara’s words change your vision of the spirit world? Did her bond with Gertie remind you of your own experience with a mother’s love?generic viagra price canada
- When Alice and her family inhabit Sara’s house and her land, how does that environment transform them? Do you believe that the history of a locale can influence your present-day experiences there?generic viagra price canada
- Ruthie and Fawn have been raised to question authority and to live a nonmaterialistic life. What benefits and challenges does their upbringing give them when their mother goes missing? Ultimately, what did Alice try to teach her daughters about becoming fulfilled women?generic viagra price canada
- Martin cherishes Sara and continually strives to please her. Does she love him in equal measure, or does her ancestry make it too difficult for an outsider to fully share a life with her?generic viagra price canada
- How was Sara affected by her history with her siblings, Constance and Jacob? Why did their father easily become dependent on Auntie, while Sara’s mother didn’t trust her?generic viagra price canada
- How did you react to Gertie’s hunger? What is its significance to the maternal women who must care for her?generic viagra price canada
- Consider the rules for waking a sleeper. What do the words and the ingredients represent in terms of the cycles of life and the nature of death?generic viagra price canada
- What were your theories about the many unsolved deaths in West Hall? Did your instincts prove to be correct when the truth about the Devil’s Hand was revealed?generic viagra price canada
- In The Winter People and previous novels by Jennifer McMahon that you have enjoyed, how is the author able to make surreal situations seem highly realistic? What role do fear and courage play in each of her books?generic viagra price canada