The Chinese Way in Business (Paperback)
Secrets of Successful Business Dealings in China
Tuttle Publishing, 9780804843508, 191pp.
Publication Date: April 16, 2013
List Price: 12.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
This book is a comprehensive, expert guide to doing business in China Western technology, management expertise and capital have fueled an incredible expansion of China's economy. Trade with China is at an all-time high, and so are the numbers of Westerners traveling to China for business. Business from China has also picked up as Chinese firms look to expand abroad. Understanding the ins and outs of the confusing and often contradictory Chinese business culture can lend an enormous advantage. The Chinese Way in Business is an invaluable tool that teaches Westerners the basic Chinese philosophy of doing business and how to cultivate strong personal relationships with Chinese business people and Chinese nationals. The author, Boye Lafayette De Mente worked in Asia for over thirty years as a journalist and business consultant and has long been considered an authority on East Asian business. In this book, he reveals the historical factors, collective traits and individual qualities that determine how the Chinese do business today, and the direction their economy will take in the future. His is a true insider's view--whether the topic is the legal framework for business development, or the importance of social relationships to successful business dealings in China. The book is broken into ten key parts:
- Introduction: The Land and the People--includes an overview of Chinese ethnicity and the languages of China
- Part One: Return of the Central Kingdom--an extensive overview of recent events and new technologies in China
- Part Two: The Historical Perspective--Chinese philosophy and the Chinese mindset from antiquity to modern times
- Part Three: Doing Business in China--A detailed analysis of the nuts and bolts of Chinese Business
- Part Four: Key Concepts in Chinese Business--Concepts native to China such as Guanxi (relationships) that drive Chinese business practice
- Part Five: Additional Business Vocabulary
- Part Six: Glossary of Useful Terms--designed for quick referencing
- Part Seven: Internet Gateways to China--An overview of the dynamic online world in China
- Part Eight: Miscellaneous Information--contains information about English Language Publications and Weather Patterns
- Part Nine: Learning Some New Skills--Classical Chinese techniques which might benefit Western business people
About the Author
Boye Lafayette De Mente has been involved with Japan, China, and Korea since the late 1940s as a member of a U.S. intelligence agency, student, trade journalist, editor, and author working out of Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, and Singapore. He is a graduate of Jochi University in Tokyo and The American Institute for Foreign Trade (now Thunderbird: The School of Global Management). His 70-plus books include Korean Business Etiquette, Survival Korean, Etiquette Guide to China, and Instant Chinese.