About Gender Identity Justice in Schools and Communities (Paperback)
Teachers College Press, 9780807761250
Publication Date: March 29, 2019
Other Editions of This Title:
What is gender identity justice, why does it matter, and what are the implications for not doing this work in today's schools? This premiere book in the new Teachers College Press series School: Questions carefully walks readers through both theory and practice to equip them with the skills needed to bring gender identity justice into classrooms, schools, and ultimately society. The text looks into the root causes and ways to change the conditions that have created gender identity injustice. It opens up spaces where evolving, indeterminate gender identities will be understood and recognized as asset-based, rich sources for learning literacy and literacy learning. As educators take up the strategies mapped out across this text, they will learn how to foster school environments that aid all students in becoming agents for social change. This text is the first of its kind to address gender identity in teacher education with pathways to take up the work in communities and beyond.
- Provides concrete strategies for supporting students with complex gender identities.
- Cuts across all disciplines and academic levels.
- Offers an innovative theory of trans*+ for education.
- Includes a glossary, definitions, and useful charts and illustrations.
- Unpacks the dangers of cisgender assumptions in schools.
- Introduces new vocabulary about gender identity.