Ruhlman's Twenty (Hardcover)
20 Techniques, 100 Recipes, A Cook's Manifesto (The Science of Cooking, Culinary Books, Chef Cookbooks, Cooking Techniques Book)
Chronicle Books, 9780811876438, 368pp.
Publication Date: September 14, 2011
Learn Michael Ruhlman's twenty key cooking concepts for the contemporary home kitchen.
20 techniques, 100 recipes, a cook's manifesto: Ruhlman's Twenty distills Michael Ruhlman's decades of cooking, writing, and working with the world's greatest chefs into twenty essential ideas—from ingredients to processes to attitude—that are guaranteed to make every cook more accomplished. Whether cooking a multi-course meal, the juiciest roast chicken, or just some really good scrambled eggs, Ruhlman reveals how a cook's success boils down to the same twenty concepts. With the illuminating expertise that has made him one of the most esteemed food journalists, Michael Ruhlman explains the hows and whys of each concept and reinforces those discoveries through 100 recipes for everything from soups to desserts.
- Ruhlman's Twenty shows you how with techniques, tips, and tricks in over 300 photographs
- From the home cook to the professional chef, the book contains essential lessons that will redefine how to cook
- Acclaimed writer and culinary authority Michael Ruhlman is the author of Ratio, The Soul of a Chef, The Making of a Chef, Charcuterie, and with Thomas Keller, The French Laundry Cookbook
- From the basics of how we think about food to lessons on ingredients, processes, and ideas
- Chapters on specific ingredient like salt, onion, egg, sugar, and water
- Go in depth on techniques such as poach, roast, braise, grill, fry, and sauté
- Learn how to make a great sauce, batter, dough, soup, vinaigrette, and more
About the Author
Photographer Donna Turner Ruhlman lives in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.
Praise For Ruhlman's Twenty: 20 Techniques, 100 Recipes, A Cook's Manifesto (The Science of Cooking, Culinary Books, Chef Cookbooks, Cooking Techniques Book)…
-Dorie Greenspan, author of Around My French Table
James Beard Foundation 2012 Book Awards winner, General Cooking category
International Association of Culinary Professionals' 2012 Cookbook Awards winner, Food and Beverage Reference/Technical category
"A naturally curious and intelligent cook, Michael has amassed a vast amount of culinary knowledge through his many years being around and writing about food. In his newest book Ruhlman's Twenty he has distilled everything down to the most essential 20 techniques that will help build solid skills and a positive outlook in the kitchen. It is a great resource."
-Thomas Keller, chef/owner of The French Laundry
"I'm not sure if Michael Ruhlman is a great writer who cooks or a great cook who writes, but either way he always manages to make my favorite thing: good sense. With Ruhlman's Twenty he makes sense of just about anything and everything that can happen in a kitchen by boiling it all down to twenty elemental concepts, stunningly presented in concise and useful clarity."
-Alton Brown, host of Good Eats and author of I'm Just Here for the Food