Still Life Painting Atelier: An Introduction to Oil Painting (Hardcover)
An Introduction to Oil Painting
Watson-Guptill, 9780823034086, 192pp.
Publication Date: September 28, 2010
However, though the still life is used throughout as a teaching tool, this is first and foremost a book about oil painting. It begins with simple compositions that build to more complex arrangements. Starting with essential information on how to best set up your studio--including lighting, equipment, materials (paints, solvents, brushes, mediums), and preparing your canvas and paper for oil painting--Still Life Painting Atelier then offers concrete lessons in a logical progressive sequence, with step-by-step illustrations, finished paintings, diagrams and tips. Chapters cover:
- How to address composition through thumbnail sketches and line drawings
- Using underpainting to study the characteristics of light and shade
- The basics of color theory and color mixing
- How to use a variety of brushes to create sharp and soft edges
- Techniques that are helpful when painting metal and glass
- How to apply glazing and scumbling to bring luminosity and texture.