The Historical Reliability of John's Gospel (Paperback)
Issues & Commentary
IVP Academic, 9780830838714, 346pp.
Publication Date: October 20, 2011
List Price: 32.00*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Throughout much of the twentieth century the Fourth Gospel took a back seat to the Synoptics when it came to historical reliability. Consequently, the contemporary quest of the historical Jesus discounted or excluded evidence from the Fourth Gospel. The question of the historical reliability of John's Gospel is well overdue for a thorough reinvestigation and reassessment. In this foundational study, Craig L. Blomberg sheds new light on persistent questions. He presents his conclusions largely in commentary form, following the principal scenes of the Gospel. His introduction frames the pathway into the discussion, taking up critical issues such as
- authorship, date and provenance of the Fourth Gospel
- sources and omissions of the Fourth Gospel
- points where John's Gospel interlocks with the Synoptics
- general indications of historicity
- literary genre and unique audience of this Gospel
- burden of proof and criteria of authenticity