Art as Spiritual Activity (Vista) (Paperback)
Steiner Books, 9780880103961, 336pp.
Publication Date: October 1, 1997
List Price: 24.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
This book introduces a new way for thinking about, creating, and viewing art. Rudolf Steiner saw his task as the renewal of the lost unity of science, the arts, and religion; thus, he created a new, cognitive scientific and religious art in anthroposophy. The implications of his act --recognized by such diverse artists as Wassily Kandinsky and Joseph Beuys --are only now coming fully to light. In his thorough introduction of more than a hundred pages, Michael Howard takes readers through these thought-provoking chapters:
- Is Art Dead?
- To Muse or Amuse
- Artistic Activity As Spiritual Activity
- The Representative of Humanity
- Beauty, Creativity, and Metamorphosis
- New Directions in Art
- The Aesthetics of Goethe's Worldview
- The Spiritual Being of Art
- Buildings Will Speak
- The Sense Organs and Aesthetic Experience
- The Two Sources of Art
- The Building at Dornach
- The Supersensible Origin of the Arts
- Truth, Beauty, and Goodness
- Christ, Ahriman, and Lucifer
- Plus a bibliography and index