The Definitive Biography: The Definitive Biography
John Jobling takes readers beyond the myth in this unauthorized biography to present the first comprehensive account of the illustrious Irish rockers in 25 years. Drawing on extensive interviews with insiders including record label scouts, studio presidents, politicians, music critics, and childhood friends, Jobling investigates the U2's most personal relationships and controversial business practices, delivering a vivid portrait that traces the rock phenomenon from its conception to post-punk champions to political crusaders. Filled with captivating revelations, reader will learn:
- How Bono, the Edge, and Larry Mullen, Jr. worshiped with a Charismatic Christian church that practiced speaking in tongues during the band's early days
- Insider stories of the genesis and recording of classic albums such as The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby
- Creative tensions within the band and power struggles among management
- How the disappointments of the Rattle and Hum film and PopMart Tour spurred the band to greater creative heights
- Both the successes and controversies of Bono's wide-sweeping philanthropic and political ventures
- The disconnect between the band's personal lives and public personas
Sure to inspire debate with every music lover, U2: The Definitive Biography humanizes the band and paints an honest picture of a band's rise to the top, plunging into the heart and underlying soul of this iconic rock and roll band.
Praise For U2: The Definitive Biography: The Definitive Biography…
“Concise and compelling.” —Tony Fletcher, Wall Street Journal
“Still haven't found what you're looking for? Then I suggest you search no further. U2: The Definitive Biography is a fascinating, well-written, and utterly comprehensive narrative about one of the biggest and most important rock bands of our time.” —Kent Hartman, author of The Wrecking Crew: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Best-Kept Secret
“Jobling presents a researched, knowing and briskly paced saga.” —Publishers Weekly
“Jobling presents the first unauthorized biography of the iconic Irish band in their almost 40-year career… U2 fans will eat this up.” —Booklist
Thomas Dunne Books, 9781250027894, 384pp.
Publication Date: October 7, 2014