How to Be a Good Wife (Paperback)
Picador USA, 9781250054456, 271pp.
Publication Date: November 4, 2014
HOW TO BE A GOOD WIFE BY EMMA CHAPMAN IS A HAUNTING LITERARY DEBUT ABOUT A WOMAN WHO BEGINS HAVING VISIONS THAT MAKE HER QUESTION EVERYTHING SHE KNOWS
Marta and Hector have been married for a long time. Through the good and bad; through raising a son and sending him off to life after college. So long, in fact, that Marta finds it difficult to remember her life before Hector. He has always taken care of her, and she has always done everything she can to be a good wife as advised by a dog-eared manual given to her by Hector's aloof mother on their wedding day.
But now, something is changing. Small things seem off. A flash of movement in the corner of her eye, elapsed moments that she can't recall. Visions of a blonde girl in the darkness that only Marta can see. Perhaps she is starting to remember or perhaps her mind is playing tricks on her. As Marta's visions persist and her reality grows more disjointed, it's unclear if the danger lies in the world around her, or in Marta herself. The girl is growing more real every day, and she wants something.
About the Author
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- What were your first impressions of Marta? Did you like her as a character? Did your impressions of her change throughout the book?generic viagra price canada
- What did you think was the significance of the setting of the novel? Why do you think it is specifically unnamed?generic viagra price canada
- Hector is an ambiguous character throughout the book. Did your views of him change as the book progressed?generic viagra price canada
- Marta can be considered an unreliable narrator. Were there moments in the book when you didn’t trust her? Why?generic viagra price canada
- A book Marta was given as a wedding gift left a lasting impression on her. Why do you think she played by the ‘rules’ according to the book?generic viagra price canada
- Do you think Marta’s interpretations of events were correct?generic viagra price canada
- Can you see things from Hector’s side? Who did you believe?generic viagra price canada
- The ending of the novel is ambiguous. Did you think this was the right ending for Marta?generic viagra price canada
- The novel examines three generations of women from the same family. Do you think it raises larger questions about what it is to be a woman and to fulfill certain roles?generic viagra price canada
- If so, how did you respond to the questions it raised? Do you think the writer has an opinion on how the questions should be answered?generic viagra price canada