Brief History of Ancient Astrology (Brief Histories of the Ancient World) (Paperback)
Wiley-Blackwell, 9781405110747, 159pp.
Publication Date: November 10, 2006
List Price: 37.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
A Brief History of Ancient Astrology explores the theory andpractice of astrology from Babylon to Ancient Greece and Rome andits cultural and political impact on ancient societies.
- Discusses the union between early astrology and astronomy, incontrast to the modern dichotomy between science andsuperstition.
- Explains the ancient understanding of the zodiac and its twelvesigns, the seven planets, and the fixed circle of 'places' againstwhich the signs and planets revolve.
- Demonstrates how to construct and interpret a horoscope in theancient manner, using original ancient horoscopes andhandbooks.
- Considers the relevance of ancient astrology today.
About the Author
Roger Beck is Emeritus Professor at the University Toronto. He is the author of The Religion of the Mithras Cult in the Roman Empire (2006).