Theology and Social Theory (Paperback)
Beyond Secular Reason
Wiley-Blackwell, 9781405136846, 448pp.
Publication Date: February 1, 2006
List Price: 63.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
This is a revised edition of John Milbank's masterpiece, which sketches the outline of a specifically theological socialtheory.
- The Times Higher Education Supplement wrote of the firstedition that it was "a tour de force of systematic theology.It would be churlish not to acknowledge its provocation andbrilliance."
- Featured in The Church Times "100 Best ChristianBooks"
- Brings this classic work up-to-date by reviewing thedevelopment of modern social thought.
- Features a substantial new introduction by Milbank, clarifyingthe theoretical basis for his work.
- Challenges the notion that sociological critiques of theologyare 'scientific'.
- Outlines a specifically theological social theory, and in doingso, engages with a wide range of thinkers from Plato toDeleuze.
- Written by one of the world's most influentialcontemporary theologians and the author of numerous books.
About the Author
John Milbank is Professor of Religion, Politics and Ethics at the University of Nottingham and one of the most influential contemporary theologians. He is also the author of The Word Made Strange: Theology, Language, Culture (Blackwell, 1996).