Encyclopedia of Educational Reform and Dissent, 2-Volume Set (Hardcover)
Sage Publications, Inc, 9781412956642, 1112pp.
Publication Date: January 12, 2010
For a free 30-day online trial to this title, visit www.sagepub.com/freetrial
Educational reform, and to a lesser extent educational dissent, occupy a prominent place in the annals of U.S. education. Whether based on religious, cultural, social, philosophical, or pedagogical grounds, they are ever-present in our educational history. Although some reforms have been presented as a remedy for society's ills, most programs were aimed toward practical transformation of the existing system to ensure that each child will have a better opportunity to succeed in U.S. society.
Educational reform is a topic rich with ideas, rife with controversy, and vital in its outcome for school patrons, educators, and the nation as a whole. With nearly 450 entries, these two volumes comprise the first reference work to bring together the strands of reform and reformers and dissent and dissenters in one place as a resource for parents, policymakers, scholars, teachers, and those studying to enter the teaching profession.
- Opens with a historical overview of educational reform and dissent and a timeline of key reforms, legislation, publications, and more
- Examines the reform or dissent related to education found in theories, concepts, ideas, writings, research, and practice
- Addresses how reformers and dissenters become significant culture-shaping people and change the way we conduct our lives
- Concepts and Theories
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Finances and Economics
- Organizations?Business and Foundations
- Organizations?Think Tanks
- Public Policy
- Religion and Religious Education
- School Types
- Special Needs
This authoritative work fills a void in the literature in the vast areas of educational reform and dissent, making it a must-have resource for any academic library. Availability in print and electronic formats provides students with convenient, easy access, wherever they may be.