Every Nonprofit's Tax Guide (Paperback)
How to Keep Your Tax-Exempt Status and Avoid IRS Problems
NOLO, 9781413319293, 459pp.
Publication Date: November 29, 2013
Tax rules for your nonprofit -- stay legal and keep the IRS off your back Your nonprofit enjoys special privileges not available to other organizations -- but they come at a price. Nonprofits must comply with rules and regulations that don't apply to for-profit ventures.
"Every Nonprofit's Tax Guide" explains these rules and what your nonprofit must do to maintain tax-exempt status and avoid problems with the IRS.
This practical, thorough, and easy-to-read book explains both ongoing and annual compliance requirements for nonprofits, including:
- rules for charitable giving and cash donations
- Form 990
- unrelated taxable business income
- annual IRS filings and disclosures
- property donations
- bookkeeping basics
- working with independent contractors and volunteers
- restrictions on lobbying and political activities
The book also includes a chapter on the types of transactions that can get your nonprofit in hot water with the IRS.