In My Time (Paperback)
A Personal and Political Memoir
Threshold Editions, 9781439176221, 576pp.
Publication Date: May 15, 2012
Other Editions of This Title:
In his enlightening and provocative memoir—a stately page-turner with flashes of surprising humor, remarkable candor, and powerful resonance—former Vice President Dick Cheney takes readers through his experiences as family man, policymaker, businessman, and politician during years that shaped our collective history.
Eyewitness to events at the highest levels, Dick Cheney brings to life scenes from past and present: He chronicles his coming-of-age as a high school athlete in Casper, Wyoming, and courting homecoming queen Lynn Vincent, his future wife. He describes driving through the White House gates just hours after the 1974 resignation of Richard Nixon, to manage the Ford transition. He portrays his response to the national crisis of 9/11, when he conveyed orders from the White House bunker to shoot down a hijacked airliner if it would not divert. And he reveals how his political vision has endured through his extraordinary ascent to the heights of American public life as:
* The youngest White House Chief of Staff, under President Gerald Ford
* Congressman from Wyoming who worked closely with President Ronald Reagan
* Secretary of defense under George H. W. Bush, overseeing the U.S. military during Operation Desert Storm and the resolution of the Cold War
* CEO of the international Fortune 500 company Halliburton
* The first U.S. vice president to serve out his term of office in the twenty-first century. Working with George W. Bush from the onset of the global war on terror, he was—and remains—an outspoken proponent of taking every step necessary to defend the nation.
About the Author
Liz Cheney served as Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of State under President George W. Bush. She also served in the State Department and at the Agency for International Development under President George H.W. Bush. She is an attorney and specialist in US Middle East Policy. She is a national security policy contributor for Fox News and is the founder, along with Vice President Dick Cheney, of the Alliance for a Strong America, a non-profit organization dedicated to education and advocacy on behalf of a strong national defense. She is married to Phil Perry, and they have five children.