Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt
(Spring Books for Kids, Gardening for Kids, Preschool Science Books, Children's Nature Books)
Other Editions of This Title:
Explore the secret world beneath the dirt that brings the world of nature to life: Up in the garden, the world is full of green—leaves and sprouts, growing vegetables, ripening fruit. But down in the dirt exists a busy world—earthworms dig, snakes hunt, skunks burrow—populated by all the animals that make a garden their home. With Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt, you can explore the hidden world and many lives of a garden through the course of a year!
• Follow a young girl and her grandmother as they journey through the year planning, planting, and harvesting their garden—and learn about what's happening in the dirt to help make it all happen
• The stunning and bright illustrations feature dark earthy tones mixed with beautiful pops of color inspire a love of nature and encourage young minds to explore the world around them
• Includes a glossary of animals that live in, around, and under the garden to enrich the reading experience
Fans of A Seed is Sleepy, Spring is Here, and A Nest is Noisy will also love the outstanding illustrations and educational storyline in Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt.
"The harmonious relationships above and below ground, and those between the two, emphasize the complexities of the garden ecosystem, as well as the joys of sustained engagement with the land." —The Horn Book Magazine
• Great read-aloud book for families and classrooms
• Books for kids ages 5-8
• Early elementary school books
• Books for kindergarten to 3rd grade
Praise For Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt: (Spring Books for Kids, Gardening for Kids, Preschool Science Books, Children's Nature Books)…
Chronicle Books, 9781452119366, 52pp.
Publication Date: March 3, 2015
About the Author
Christopher Silas Neal is an award-winning illustrator whose work is published regularly in the New York Times and shown in galleries. He teaches illustration at Pratt Institute and lives in Brooklyn, New York.