A Stone Sat Still (Hardcover)
(Environmental and Nature Picture Book for Kids, Perspective Book for Preschool and Kindergarten, Award Winning Illustrator)
Chronicle Books, 9781452173184, 56pp.
Publication Date: August 27, 2019
Other Editions of This Title:
Hardcover, Chinese (1/1/2020)
A Stone Sat Still tells the story of a seemingly ordinary rock—but to the animals that use it, it is a resting place, a kitchen, a safe haven...even an entire world.
This is a gorgeous exploration of perspective, perception, and the passage of time, with an underlying environmental message that is timely and poignant.
• Filled with stunning illustrations in cut paper, pencil, collage, and paint
• Soothing rhythms invite reading aloud and bedtime snuggles
• Introduces concepts like color, size, function, and time in a way that is easily understandable and teachable for children
With a rhythmic, calming narrative about the stone and its place in the world—and the changing environment—A Stone Sat Still proves Brendan Wenzel's mastery of the picture book form.
This modern children's classic will enchant readers in preschool and kindergarten, as well as the adults that read with them.
• A wonderful gift for teachers, librarians, and educators who are looking to teach difficult concepts like perspective and perception
• Perfect for parents and caregivers wanting to educate their kids about the environment, nature, and animals
• Great for fans of I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen, The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, and The Lorax by Dr. Seuss, as well as Wenzel's previous books They All Saw a Cat and Hello Hello
About the Author
Praise For A Stone Sat Still: (Environmental and Nature Picture Book for Kids, Perspective Book for Preschool and Kindergarten, Award Winning Illustrator)…
"The Caldecott Honor&ndashwinning author&ndashillustator of They All Saw a Cat is a master at transforming the quotidian into the incredible. His latest explores the boundlessness of a single stone's existence." — BookPage
"Profound and poetic." — The New York Times Book Review
"Wenzel scores another hit with this engaging and thought-provoking [book] . . . Stunning."— School Library Journal
"A powerful kaleidoscope of nature, A Stone Sat Still is stunning." - Shelf Awareness, starred review
"Awe-inspiring." — Booklist, starred review