10 Lessons Animals Can Teach Us About Connection, Community, and Ourselves
Other Editions of This Title:
Behavioral ecologist and world-renowned elephant scientist Caitlin O'Connell dives into the rituals of elephants, apes, zebras, rhinos, lions, whales, flamingos, and many more.
This fascinating read helps us better understand how we are similar to wild animals, and encourages us to find healing, self-awareness, community, and self-reinvention.
• Filled with fascinating stories on 10 different animal rituals
• Features original full-color photos, from the Caribbean to the African savannah
• Demonstrates the profound way we are similar to the wild creatures who captivate us
Wild Rituals journeys into the desert, tundra, and rainforest to reveal the importance of rituals and how they can help us find a simpler, more meaningful way of living.
In a culture of technology where we find ourselves living at a greater distance from nature and each other, this remarkable book taps into the unspoken languages of creatures around the world.
• Caitlin O'Connell is on the faculty at Harvard Medical School and an award-winning author who spent more than 30 years studying animals in the wild.
• Makes a great gift for anyone curious about nature, animals, and how humans compare to and interact with both
• Add it to the shelf with books like Beyond Words: What Animals Think and Feel by Carl Safina; Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? by Frans de Waal; The Inner Life of Animals: Love, Grief, and Compassion—Surprising Observations of a Hidden World by Peter Wohlleben; and The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery.
Praise For Wild Rituals: 10 Lessons Animals Can Teach Us About Connection, Community, and Ourselves…
"Caitlin O'Connell takes a fascinating look at rituals, both human and non-human, and at the deep ties that link them." -ELIZABETH KOLBERT, Pulitzer Prize Winner and New York Times bestselling author of The Sixth Extinction
"Riveting, informative, and hopeful.?Every page has some wondrous new insight that moves or astonishes. Caitlin O'Connell writes with such abundant curiosity and passion that leaves us transformed, with new hope for the way rituals might lead us to a deeper, more meaningful, and ultimately, more humane way of being.?A must-read, especially in these challenging times." -JENNIFER ACKERMAN, New York Times bestselling author of The Bird Way and The Genius of Birds
"A colorful combination of scientific discovery, and storytelling, Wild Rituals shows us how an array of animal behaviors can de-escalate violence and make life run smoother and safer-and how nonhuman animal rituals resonate with our own." -JONATHAN BALCOMBE, New York Times bestselling author of Super Fly and What a Fish Knows
"The deep similarities between humans and the other animals are not just about genetics. They're also about shared emotions, and similar aspects of cultures. Here, behavior expert and master storyteller Caitlin O'Connell illuminates the vast but little-known realm of rituals. And she does so beautifully in this solid and delightfully written book. " -CARL SAFINA, New York Times bestselling author of Beyond Words and Becoming Wild
"Nature is heavily ritualized. Caitlin O'Connell provides a delightful tour of the animal kingdom to help us discover all of the rituals in fights, play, courtship, greetings, and mourning. As for us, rituals make social life more predictable and easier to manage." -FRANS DE WAAL, New York Times bestselling author of Mama's Last Hug: Animal Emotions and What They Tell Us about Ourselves
"Entertaining and educational.. Wild Rituals is a fluid read, filled with personal stories and examples of human and animal behaviors witnessed during O'Connell's travels and studies across several continents." -Animal Welfare Institute
Chronicle Prism, 9781452184852, 264pp.
Publication Date: January 12, 2021