Pieces of My Mother (Hardcover)
Sourcebooks, 9781492615385, 320pp.
Publication Date: May 5, 2015
May 2015 Indie Next List
— Lynn Riehl (E), Nicola's Books, Ann Arbor, MI
View the List
"A story that lingers in the heart long after the last page is turned." HOPE EDELMAN, bestselling author of Motherless Daughters and The Possibility of Everything
This provocative, poignant memoir of a daughter whose mother left her behind by choice begs the question: Are we destined to make the same mistakes as our parents?
One summer, Melissa Cistaro's mother drove off without explanation Devastated, Melissa and her brothers were left to pick up the pieces, always tormented by the thought: Why did their mother abandon them?
Thirty-five years later, with children of her own, Melissa finds herself in Olympia, Washington, as her mother is dying. After decades of hiding her painful memories, she has just days to find out what happened that summer and confront the fear she could do the same to her kids. But Melissa never expects to stumble across a cache of letters her mother wrote to her but never sent, which could hold the answers she seeks.
Haunting yet ultimately uplifting, Pieces of My Mother chronicles one woman's quest to discover what drives a mother to walk away from the children she loves. Alternating between Melissa's tumultuous coming-of-age and her mother's final days, this captivating memoir reveals how our parents' choices impact our own and how we can survive those to forge our own paths.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- Melissa’s mother had an entire cache of letters that she never sent; do you have letters or thoughts that you never sent to someone?generic viagra price canada
- What did you think of Melissa’s mother at the beginning of the book? What about the end, once you learned more about her?generic viagra price canada
- Melissa worries that she may have inherited a “leaving” gene from her mother. Do you ever worry about traits that you may have inherited from your parents?generic viagra price canada
- Pieces of My Mother moves back and forth from Melissa’s childhood to present day. Did you like/dislike this narrative element?generic viagra price canada
- What did you think of Melissa’s brothers, and their relationship with their mother? Do you think it was different than the relationship that Melissa had with her mother?generic viagra price canada
- Melissa’s mother periodically returns while her children are growing up. Which visit was most memorable to you and why?generic viagra price canada
- Throughout most of Melissa’s life, her mother remains a mystery that she constantly tries to piece together. Is there someone like that from your life?generic viagra price canada