This Is Where It Ends (Hardcover)
Sourcebooks Fire, 9781492622468, 288pp.
Publication Date: January 5, 2016
This #1 New York Times Bestseller chronicles the 54 harrowing minutes of a school shooting and follows four students who must confront their greatest hopes, and darkest fears, as they come face-to-face with the boy with the gun.
The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.
The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.
The auditorium doors won't open.
Someone starts shooting.
A Buzzfeed Best YA Book
A Bustle.com Most-Anticipated YA Novel
A Goodreads YA Best Books Pick
A Goodreads Choice Award Finalist for Young Adult Fiction
Kids Indie Next List Pick
"Marieke Nijkamp's brutal, powerful fictional account of a school shooting is important in its timeliness." --Bustle.com
"A gritty, emotional, and suspenseful read and although fictionalized, it reflects on a problematic and harrowing issue across the nation." --Buzzfeed
"A compelling, brutal story of an unfortunately all-too familiar situation: a school shooting. Nijkamp portrays the events thoughtfully, recounting fifty-four intense minutes of bravery, love, and loss." --BookRiot
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- There are many different kinds of relationships in this novel: family, friendship, romantic. How do these relationships inform what is at stake for each of the main characters? order levitra onlinegeneric viagra price canada
- Each character reacts differently to the shooting. Choose two characters and describe how they responded. Do you agree with the decisions they made? How might you have acted differently? order levitra onlinegeneric viagra price canada
- This is Where it Ends is interspersed with texts, social media posts, and blog excerpts. How do you think technology has affected the way we experience and respond to tragedy? order levitra onlinegeneric viagra price canada
- Autumn and Sylv keep secrets from each other. Do you think this helps or hurts their relationship? Do you agree with their decisions or would you have encouraged them to speak up? order levitra onlinegeneric viagra price canada
- Autumn doesn’t feel as if she belongs in Opportunity. She tells Sylv, “If I stay here, I don’t think I’ll matter.” What does she mean by this? order levitra onlinegeneric viagra price canada
- Early in the novel, Tomás has the opportunity to escape the school. Instead, he chooses to try to help his classmates. Discuss Tomás’s decision. What would you have done? order levitra onlinegeneric viagra price canada
- Claire and Chris feel helpless as they wait for news about what is happening inside the school. In your opinion, was it more difficult for the characters inside the auditorium or those waiting to hear about their loved ones? Why? order levitra onlinegeneric viagra price canada
- Tyler told his father he wanted to go back to school to “set things right.” Discuss his motivations. How could he have gone about this differently? order levitra onlinegeneric viagra price canada
- In the epilogue, the survivors come together to remember those they lost by sending lanterns into the sky. Mei describes this as a way to “make sure the darkness is never absolute.” What does that mean to you? order levitra onlinegeneric viagra price canada
- What do you think happens to the survivors after the book ends? What would come next for them? How do you think their experiences changed them? order levitra onlinegeneric viagra price canada