As You Wish
From bestselling author Chelsea Sedoti comes a thought-provoking contemporary young adult book about a small desert town filled with Mojave magic where everyone gets to make a wish on their eighteenth birthday. If you could make one wish that was guaranteed to come true--what would you wish for?
Rules for Wishing:
- Never let an outsider find out about wishing. (Zip your lips and throw away the key.)
- Wishes that would impact the world are off limits (i.e. no bringing back the dinosaurs).
- Do no harm. (Murder = no bueno.)
- No time travel. (What's done is done, pal.)
- No bringing back the dead. (Come on. You've seen what happens in THE WALKING DEAD.)
- NEVER BREAK THE RULES. (Seriously. We mean it. See Rule #7.)
- There are always consequences.
Most of Eldon's classmates have had their wishes picked out for months, even years. Not Eldon. He's seen how wishing has hurt the people around him. His parents' marriage is strained, his sister is a virtual ghost in their house, his ex-girlfriend is dating his ex-friend...where does he even begin?
One thing is for sure: Eldon has only twenty-six days to figure it out--and the rest of his life to live with the consequences.
- Readers who like magical realism YA
- Fans of John Green, Jandy Nelson, and The Sun is Also a Star
- Educators and parents who want to start conversations about consequences
- People looking for young adult books best sellers
Also by Chelsea Sedoti:
It Came from the Sky
The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
Praise for As You Wish:
"Heartbreaking, other times hilarious, but always thought-provoking. An unexpectedly affecting book that will have readers pondering what they would wish for if given the chance."--Booklist
"Poignant... Will inspire readers to explore the question: if you could have one wish, what would it be?"--Kirkus
"An engrossing read, fantastical and believable at the same time."--Horn Book Magazine
"Depending on the reader, this novel offers different levels of intensity, starting with the everyday sort of teen troubles, progressing to difficult family dynamics, and reaching up to the ethical dilemmas wishing can create--all while being easy to read and hard to put down."--VOYA
Sourcebooks Fire, 9781492642312, 432pp.
Publication Date: January 2, 2018
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
1. Throughout As You Wish, Eldon seeks out the perfect wish—a wish that he’ll be happy with for the rest of his life. Do you think “the perfect wish” actually exists?
2. Have you ever gotten exactly what you wished for? If so, how did it turn out?
3. What are things you would have wished for five years ago? What might you regret about those wishes now? What would you wish for if you had to make a wish today?
4. Madison, Nevada, the town where As You Wish takes place, is near Area 51. In a world where wishing is real, does alien life seem farfetched? Which is easier to believe in, wishes or aliens?
5. The golden rule of wishing is to never let outsiders know it exists. What lengths do you think Madison residents would go to in order to keep their secret? How far would you go?
6. How much did Madison’s remote location influence the culture surrounding wishing? How might it have differed in a more populated area of the country?
7. Though wishing seems to give people more opportunities, Eldon doesn’t see it that way. In what ways might wishing limit the choices people have?
8. Occasionally, a wish impacts someone other than the wisher. Do you feel that it would ever be okay to make a wish that influences the course of another person’s life?
9. Many people use their wishes to alter themselves, in ways both big and small. What could be some consequences of this? Would you ever wish to change something drastic about yourself?
10. Do you agree with the final choice Eldon makes in regards to his wish? How would your decision have differed from his?