The Craving Brain (Paperback)
Science, Spirituality and the Road to Recovery
Createspace Independent Publishing Platform, 9781511554473, 272pp.
Publication Date: January 25, 2016
Is it possible to overcome the powerlessness of addiction? Joining forces to answer this age-old question, coauthors Anderson Spickard Jr., a doctor with over forty years' experience in addiction medicine, and James B., a recovering addict, candidly describe the harsh challenges and clearly outline the necessary steps toward healing and recovery.
Combining firsthand accounts and simplified medical insights, The Craving Brain addresses how adolescent binge drinking plays a role in the development of alcohol addiction, explains why addicts don't need to hit rock bottom before they can recover, and responds to some of the most compelling mysteries of addiction, including:
- Why are some people at a higher risk?
- Is an uncontrollable craving a moral failing or a brain injury?
- Why can't addicts see their problem and just quit?
- Are interventions helpful or dangerous?
- How effective are twelve-step programs?
- How is brain science transforming addiction recovery and improving treatment outcomes?
As hopeful as it is unapologetically realistic, this groundbreaking guide is a must-read for anyone who suffers from addiction or knows or works with addicted individuals. With courage, determination, and the right support, recovery is indeed possible.