Color Mixing Recipes for Portraits (Hardcover)
More than 500 Color Combinations for Skin, Eyes, Lips & Hair
Walter Foster Publishing, 9781560109907, 48pp.
Publication Date: November 1, 2006
This convenient guide details three simple steps to mix virtually any skin tone:
- Match a palette of skin tones from this book to your portrait subject.
- Create the Master Skin Tone Recipe for this palette using the Color Mixing Grid to measure each paint color.
- Follow the recipes to create all the skin tones you'll need to complete your portrait—from light values to shadows.
- Color theory
- Tinting, toning, and shading
- Graying skin tones naturally
- Identifying facial planes
- Mouth, nose, and ear color tones
- Eye and hair color tones
- Watercolor skin tone recipes
About the Author
William F. Powel is an internationally recognized artist and one of America's foremost colorists. He is the author of many art instructions books, including The Art of Watercolor, Color Mixing Recipes for Watercolor, Color Mixing Recipes for Portraits, and Drawing Made Easy: Dynamic Composition. A native of Huntington, West Virginia, Bill studied at the Art Student's Career School in New York; Harrow Technical College in Harrow, England; and the Louvre Free School of Art in Paris, France. He has been professionally involved in fine art, commercial art, and technical illustrations for more than 45 years. His experience as an art instructor includes oil, watercolor, acrylic, colored pencil, and pastel—with subjects ranging from landscapes to portraits and wildlife. As a renowned master of color, Bill has conducted numerous "Color Mixing and Theory" workshops in various cities throughout the US. Additionally, he has performed as an art consultant for national space programs and for several artist's paint manufacturers. Bill's work has also included the creation of background sets for films, model making, animated cartoons, and animated films for computer mockup programs. He also produces instructional painting, color mixing, and drawing art videos.