Addictions Treatment F/Older Adults (Haworth Addictions Treatment) (Hardcover)
Routledge, 9781560248569, 258pp.
Publication Date: February 2, 1995
List Price: 140.00*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Here is a detailed description of an innovative approach for treating elderly persons who have alcohol or drug problems. During the past few years there has been growing recognition of the special needs of these individuals. Addictions Treatment for Older Adults describes the evaluation of the Community Older Persons Alcohol (COPA) Program. This book helps readers understand the nature of substance abuse among the elderly, as well as how to identify and intervene with older persons who have alcohol and drug problems, including persons who are reluctant to seek treatment. Addictions Treatment for Older Adults explains the development of the COPA program and how it works. Many case studies and tables provide illuminating details for readers who work with this elderly population. Chapters examine
- characteristics of elderly persons with alcohol or drug problems
- the typology of COPA clients and their problem areas
- treatment interventions
- variables associated with improvement
- analysis of progress made by clients during and after treatment
- the factors that seem to predict recoveryThe in-depth descriptions in this book provide much needed information and guidance for professionals striving to meet the treatment and care needs of elderly substance abusers. Addictions Treatment for Older Adults should be read by researchers in the substance abuse field and by persons who work with the elderly, such as community nurses, social workers, and physicians. In this book they will find the best description to date of the nature of alcohol and drug problems among elderly who live in their communities.
Not Currently Available for Direct Purchase