The Herbal Drugstore: The Best Natural Alternatives to Over-The-Counter and Prescription Medicines! (Paperback)
The Best Natural Alternatives to Over-The-Counter and Prescription Medicines!
Rodale Books, 9781579547059, 624pp.
Publication Date: April 5, 2003
Ease Symptoms, Fight Disease, and Supercharge Immunity-- All without Drugs or Chemicals
You're about to enter a completely different kind of drugstore. One where herbal medicines are offered right alongside conventional pharmaceuticals. Where bottles of feverfew stand next to bottles of aspirin, and echinacea has its place among other cold and flu remedies.
"The Herbal Drugstore" - by Linda B. White, M.D., Steven Foster, and the staff of Herbs for Health - is the only place where you can compare mainstream drug treatments and their herbal alternatives for close to 100 common health problems. You'll find herbs that have the same healing powers as many prescription and over-the-counter medications-- only they're cheaper and gentler, with few or no side effects.
Whether you need fast first-aid or long-term relief, "The Herbal Drugstore" has a remedy for you. Here's just a sampling:
* Immobilized by arthritis? Rub on capsaicin cream, a natural pain reliever made from hot peppers (page 96)
* Can't sleep? Start snoozing with valerian-- it's as effective as Valium, but it isn't addictive (page 352)
* Want to lose a few pounds? Get a helping hand from psyllium, an herbal alternative to appetite suppressants (page 448)
* Feeling stressed? Calm jangled nerves with ginseng-- it won't undermine alertness (page 509)
* Battling bronchitis? Clear up that cough with licorice, a natural expectorant (page 129)
* Need help with high blood pressure? Turn to hawthorn-- it has much in common with beta blockers, except for the side effects (page 326)
"The Herbal Drugstore" features these and many more herbal remedies-- 712 in all They're profiled right next to their pharmaceutical counterparts, so you can make your own comparisons and decide which treatments are best for "you.
About the Author
Praise For The Herbal Drugstore: The Best Natural Alternatives to Over-The-Counter and Prescription Medicines!…
"A rich and rewarding resource for those who want the safest and best treatments for their most pressing health concerns."--James A. Duke, Ph.D., author of The Green Pharmacy