Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel
How to Knock'em Dead with Style
Other Editions of This Title:
Solve the MYSTERY of how to write and sell a KILLER story
With the help of interactive exercises, mystery author and crime fiction critic Hallie Ephron gives you the momentum you need to turn a kernel of an idea into an intriguing mystery novel. You'll learn to capitalize on your writing strengths and shore up your weaknesses.
This comprehensive guide covers every aspect of mystery writing, including:
- planning, twisting the plot, and constructing a credible surprise ending
- creating a compelling sleuth and a worthy villain
- deceiving and revealing with red herrings and clues
- writing investigation, spine-tingling suspense, and dramatic action
- revising - from sharpening characters, to optimizing pace, to smithing words
- engaging the reader
By the time you finish reading part one of this book, you will have a blueprint for your entire story. Parts two and there take your blueprint from idea to well-polished novel. Part four is an insider's guide to getting it into an agent's or publisher's hands.
Writer's Digest Books, 9781582973760, 248pp.
Publication Date: September 1, 2005