Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction (Paperback)
A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
Writer's Digest Books, 9781582979922, 272pp.
Publication Date: November 16, 2010
What's more important to a story: a gripping plot or compelling characters? Literary-minded novelists argue in favor of character-based novels while commercial novelists argue in favor of plot-based stories, but the truth of the matter is this: The best fiction is rich in both.
Enter Plot Versus Character. This hands-on guide to creating a well-rounded novel embraces both of these crucial story components. You'll learn to:
- Create layered characters by considering personality traits, natural attributes, and backgrounds
- Develop your character's emotional journey and tie it to your plot's inciting incident
- Construct a three-act story structure that can complement and sustain your character arc
- Expose character backstory in a manner that accentuates plot points
- Seamlessly intertwine plot and character to create a compelling page-turner filled with characters to whom readers can't help but relate
- And much more