Autocar Trucks of the 1950s (at Work)
* Individual store prices may vary.
Autocar’s roots go way back into the early 1900s and became known for tough and rugged trucks. When WWII came, very few trucks for civilian use were produced and by the end many trucks were worn out from constant use. After the war, civilian production began again in full force because of the lack of new trucks. In 1950, when Autocar introduced the new driver cab, the louver design was eliminated. The old style flat windshield sleeper cabs were used up until 1953 (the same year that Autocar was purchased by the White Motor Co.) when the new sleeper cab was introduced. Autocar became the top-of-the-line marque for White and marketing focused primarily on specialized applications, such as construction, logging, mining and oil industries. See the rest of the “World’s Finest” helping do their part to revive America in the 1950s.
Enthusiast Books, 9781583882313, 128pp.
Publication Date: May 15, 2009
About the Author
Ron Adams is a lifelong big truck enthusiast who has spent many years amassing an archive of vintage truck photos. His books include 100 Years of Semi Trucks, Big Rigs of the 1950s, Big Rigs of the 1960s, Semi Trucks of the 1970s, Semi Trucks of the West, and Mack Trucks. He lives in Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania.