Orthopaedic Oncology (Hardcover)
Diagnosis and Treatment
Thieme Medical Publishers, 9781588905239, 318pp.
Publication Date: July 27, 2008
Current strategies for addressing the diagnostic and treatment challenges of sarcomas
Orthopaedic Oncology: Diagnosis and Treatment is a complete reference for handling the full range of musculoskeletal tumors frequently encountered in the clinical setting, from osseous tumors in the upper extremity, to soft-tissue tumors of the pelvis. The first section presents the principles of initial assessment, guiding the clinician through key questions for developing the differential diagnosis and selecting the imaging modality and surgical technique. The second part of this book presents sarcoma case reports that cover tumor pathologies in different anatomic locations. Each case report contains succinct descriptions of presenting history, differential diagnosis, anatomic and imaging issues, biopsy techniques, pathologic diagnosis and grading, treatment options, surgical details, preferred treatment, pearls, and pitfalls.Features:
- A comprehensive collection of cases presented according to anatomic location
- Special emphasis on the significance of a tumor's initial presentation and its implications for surgical treatment
- Clinical insights for tailoring treatment plans to the patient's particular condition, such as determining when neoadjuvant chemotherapy and adjuvant chemotherapy are indicated
- Current information about the use of positron emission tomography (PET) for tumor grading
- Recommendations for avoiding complications and managing potential pitfalls
- More than 300 images and illustrations that demonstrate key concepts
This book is an indispensable resource for orthopedists, oncologists, as well as radiologists and pathology specialists treating patients with bone and soft-tissue tumors.
About the Author
Praise For Orthopaedic Oncology: Diagnosis and Treatment…
Well written and illustrated volume that approaches orthopaedic oncology from the point of view of the clinical dilemma...It provides a very important insight into multidisciplinary management of these lesions. -- RAD MagazinCases are beautifully illustrated throughout with radiographs, imaging findings, and pathological findings...an up-to-date reference source.--Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy[Four stars] Excellent book...uses a unique method to discuss the various tumors by presenting case reports for specific tumors...and then providing a good discussion of diagnosis and management...[provides] a good learning experience.--Doody's Review