Press Here! Ayurvedic Head Massage for Beginners
Practice for overall Health and Wellness
Press Here! Ayurvedic Head Massage for Beginners gives simple step-by-step guidance on how to incorporate Indian head massage into you and your family's everyday routines to enhance overall well-being and beauty.
The techniques illustrated and explained offer many health benefits, including:
- Easing sleep disturbances
- Reducing stress
- Easing muscular tension, headaches, and eye strain
- Promoting increased blood circulation to the head and cephalic region
- Enhancing scalp health
Practitioners can also achieve psychological and spiritual benefits, including:
- Increasing a sense of human connection between giver and receiver
- Creating a meditative mood that encourages deep sleep
- Relief from mild depression or life burnout/overwhelm through the release of endorphins
Potential beauty benefits include:
- Improves the condition of skin and hair by increasing blood circulation
- Provides nutrients to the living cells of the skin and hair
- Gives the receiver a refreshed and younger looking appearance
- Nourishing hair oils can further increase and customize your beauty efforts along with the massage
The book also addresses safety considerations, including vital areas of caution in the neck and head and when it might be unwise to practice Indian head massage, and cautions with regard to herbally infused oils.
Each chapter covers an important area related to head massage techniques in depth, including foundational principles of ayurveda and how Indian head massage is part of ayurvedic practice. You'll find:
- A basic review of Doshas, including details on how to discover your unique, elemental body type—Pitta, Vata, Kapha, and combinations of these
- Marma or vital energy points of the head and neck
- Preparation tips with a supply list, mood, space, and lighting considerations
- Preparing the body and mind to give/receive an Ayurvedic Indian head massage—hygiene, stretches for the arms, shoulders, and hands
- Types of massage movements used in Indian head massage, described step by step—nerve strokes, effleurage, petrissage, frictions, tapotement
- Self-care rituals with an introduction to touch, step-by-step protocols, communication with partner about pressure and comfort
- Hair oil recipes, including everyday hair oil recipes, tips on creating your own recipes, authentic beauty hair oil, headache relief hair oil, mid-day energizing hair oil, peaceful sleep hair oil
- Incorporation of rituals, including authentic beauty rituals, step-by-step protocol to enhance one's own natural beauty, headache relief ritual, step-by-step protocol to reduce tension headaches, mid-day energizing rituals, step-by-step protocol to stay alert during the day, peaceful sleep ritual, step-by-step protocol to enhance sleep
The book ends with an Ayurvedic Dosha–type quiz to help understand your personal prakriti or constitution.
The Press Here! series offers contemporary takes on traditional hands-on healing practices for a new generation of practitioners. These introductory guides feature easy-to-access organization, clear instructions, and beautiful illustrations of each technique. Other Press Here! topics include reiki, reflexology, chakras, and acupressure.
Fair Winds Press, 9781589239784, 128pp.
Publication Date: March 9, 2021
About the Author
Hillary Arrieta is a holistic wellness expert, industry educator, and small business owner located in Dallas, Texas. With nearly two decades of experience in massage therapy, aromatherapy, Western herbalism, yoga, and meditation, she specializes in Ayurvedic spa treatments and barefoot massage. When she's not working with clients, she teaches massage, yoga/meditation, participates on local massage education advisory boards, and writes for various publications on related topics of expertise.
Hillary has taught massage therapists since 2008, from the basic certification program to continuing education workshops at Gaia Bodywork. Hillary has the honor of teaching as an approved instructor for the Center for Barefoot Massage. She strives to create a dynamic, organized, and comfortable learning environment.