The Real Food Grocery Guide (Paperback)
Navigate the Grocery Store, Ditch Artificial and Unsafe Ingredients, Bust Nutritional Myths, and Select the Healthiest
Fair Winds Press (MA), 9781592337552, 272pp.
Publication Date: June 1, 2017
* Individual store prices may vary.
Understand food labels and cut through the myths, hype, and misleading information on "healthy" food choices. Make the best choices with The Real Food Grocery Guide.
The Real Food Grocery Guide helps you navigate every aisle of the grocery store by clearly outlining what foods are truly the healthiest, the freshest, and the most economical--and which ones belong in the garbage rather than your grocery cart
Now you will finally know for certain whether fat-free and gluten-free are actually healthier, what hidden meanings you're missing in food labels, and if organic vegetables and grass-fed meat are worth the extra cost.
The Real Food Grocery Guide is the most comprehensive and actionable guide to grocery shopping and healthy eating available, with advice on:
- What to eat for health, balanced weight, and longevity
- How to shop to save a significant amount of time and money
- How to decipher food "buzz words" (like natural, grass-fed, wild, organic, gluten-free, etc.): know which to buy and which to leave on the shelf
- How to select the most nutritious and delicious produce, every time (no more getting home with brown avocados or tasteless melon)
- Why the quality of animal products such as meat, fish, eggs, and dairy is crucial--and how to choose the healthiest kinds
- How to store fresh food properly so it will stay fresh longer
- Why calorie counting is futile--and what you should look for instead to determine the healthiness of any food
- How to decipher what a food label is really saying
- How to avoid being duped by sneaky food industry claims and choose the best packaged products every time
Stop guessing when you're in the grocery store. Grab The Real Food Grocery Guide
and get the real facts on what labels are telling you. No spin.
About the Author
Author of The Real Food Grocery Guide (Fair Winds, 2017), Maria Marlowe, graduated summa cum laude from Fordham University; she also studied holistic nutrition at The Institute for Integrative Nutrition and plant-based cooking at The Natural Gourmet Institute. Marlowe founded an Integrative Nutrition practice specializing in reversing acne and weight loss through a real food diet and healthy lifestyle in New York City. She has helped improve the eating habits of moms, young professionals, and a number of celebrities and corporate executives. Marlowe was named an Entrepreneur in Residence for IvankaTrump.com, where she publishes a monthly food and wellness column. She also has been a contributor to a number of digital publications, including Huffington Post, Wellness Today, and MindBodyGreen. Marlowe has appeared on The Dr. Oz Show, CBS, and NBC, and has been featured in Vogue, The New York Times, Shape, BRIDES, Bella, Well+Good NYC, and many more. She lives in Mineola, New York. To learn more about Maria, visit mariamarlowe.com.Dean Ornish, M.D., is the founder and president of the non-profit Preventive Medicine Research Institute in Sausalito, California, where he holds the Safeway Chair. He is Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. Dr. Ornish received his medical training in internal medicine from the Baylor College of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, and the Massachusetts General Hospital. For the past 30 years, Dr. Ornish has directed clinical research demonstrating, for the first time, that comprehensive lifestyle changes may begin to reverse even severe coronary heart disease, without drugs or surgery. He is the author of several books including the NYT bestseller, The Spectrum.