The Real Food Grocery Guide (Paperback)
Navigate the Grocery Store, Ditch Artificial and Unsafe Ingredients, Bust Nutritional Myths, and Select the Healthiest Foods Possible
Fair Winds Press, 9781592337552, 272pp.
Publication Date: June 1, 2017
Understand food labels and cut through the myths, hype, and misleading information on "healthy" food choices. Make the best choices with The Real Food Grocery Guide.
The Real Food Grocery Guide helps you navigate every aisle of the grocery store by clearly outlining what foods are truly the healthiest, the freshest, and the most economical—and which ones belong in the garbage rather than your grocery cart!
Now you will finally know for certain whether fat-free and gluten-free are actually healthier, what hidden meanings you're missing in food labels, and if organic vegetables and grass-fed meat are worth the extra cost.
The Real Food Grocery Guide is the most comprehensive and actionable guide to grocery shopping and healthy eating available, with advice on:
- What to eat for health, balanced weight, and longevity
- How to shop to save a significant amount of time and money
- How to decipher food "buzz words" (like natural, grass-fed, wild, organic, gluten-free, etc.): know which to buy and which to leave on the shelf
- How to select the most nutritious and delicious produce, every time (no more getting home with brown avocados or tasteless melon)
- Why the quality of animal products such as meat, fish, eggs, and dairy is crucial—and how to choose the healthiest kinds
- How to store fresh food properly so it will stay fresh longer
- Why calorie counting is futile—and what you should look for instead to determine the healthiness of any food
- How to decipher what a food label is really saying
- How to avoid being duped by sneaky food industry claims and choose the best packaged products every time
About the Author
Maria Marlowe helps busy women improve their health, reach their ideal weight, and clear up their acne by upgrading their diet. She is a Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Founder of mariamarlowe.com, where you can learn how to optimize your diet and lifestyle to look and feel your best every single day.
In 2013, Maria opened a private Integrative Nutrition Health Coaching practice in New York City, and has since coached hundreds of people—from moms to business executives to celebrities—to healthier eating habits. She is also the host of the Happier & Healthier Podcast, available on iTunes, where she interviews doctors and health thought leaders on how to live your healthiest life. Maria’s first book, The Real Food Grocery Guide (Fair Winds Press), has been called “the most practical book to navigate a healthier way of eating” by renowned physician and leading researcher in healthcare, Dr. Dean Ornish. Her tips and recipes have been featured in Vogue, InStyle, The New York Times, Dr. Oz, and more.
Maria currently lives in New York and coaches and consults privately for individuals and brands. She graduated summa cum laude from Fordham University before graduating from The Institute of Integrative Nutrition and attending Natural Gourmet Institute to study plant-based cooking.
You can find her at www.mariamarlowe.com or on Instagram at @MariaMarlowe.
Dean Ornish, MD, is the founder and president of the non-profit Preventive Medicine Research Institute in Sausalito, California, where he holds the Safeway Chair. He is Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. Dr. Ornish received his medical training in internal medicine from Baylor College of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, and Massachusetts General Hospital. For the past 30 years, Dr. Ornish has directed clinical research demonstrating, for the first time, that comprehensive lifestyle changes may begin to reverse even severe coronary heart disease, without drugs or surgery. He is the author of several books, including the New York Times best seller, The Spectrum.