Dancing Mindfulness (Paperback)
A Creative Path to Healing and Transformation
Skylight Paths Publishing, 9781594736018, 224pp.
Publication Date: October 29, 2015
Experiment. Explore. Awaken your potential for wellness through meditative movement.
"This ... is an invitation and a portal into the practice of dance and movement as meditation. All bodies are welcome and all abilities. Anyone can dance, although many of us hold back because we don't look like dancers or because we have physical limitations. But I am willing to bet that most of you holding this book have touched a moment of transcendence or freedom in an experience of dance that leads you to explore deeper. You have a worthy guide in your hands."
--from the Foreword
Using theory and step-by-step exercises, dancer and clinical counselor Dr. Jamie Marich expertly guides you through seven primary elements of mindfulness in motion: breath, sound, body, story, mind, spirit and fusion. By dancing through these seven elements, either in personal practice or in a group, you will be better able to:
- Access your body's own healing resources through informal dance
- Realize the transformative power of your personal creativity
- Strengthen your abilities to exercise non-judgment, patience, a sense of play, trust, acceptance and letting go
- Practice mindfulness even if you have struggled with traditional sitting meditation
- Share healing dances with others to build on your own strengths, resources and experiences