Fresh from the Farm
A Year of Recipes and Stories
More than a cookbook...it's also the story of how a farm came to be. Written by the "Queen of Fresh" Susie Middleton, Fresh from the Farm goes beyond traditional "fresh" cookbooks by sharing the engaging tale of one woman's quest for a simpler life. In between the recipes, Susie shares the story of how she left the corporate world, started a farm on Martha's Vineyard, and created a satisfying new life on this rural island.
121 seasonal recipes featuring homegrown produce. Fresh from the Farm is divided into three growing seasons: late spring and early summer, high summer, and what the author refers to as a bonus season, Indian summer and early fall. Here's just a taste...
- Swiss Chard and Caramelized Onion Quesadillas with Pepper Jack Cheese
- Spicy Thai Shrimp and Baby Bok Choy Stir-Fry
- Curry Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
- "Mac 'N Cheese" with Kale, Goat Cheese, and Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Summer Veggie-Palooza Paella
- Little Pear Crostatas with Hazelnut Crisp Topping
- and one hundred and nineteen more - all just as tempting and delicious
Perfect for vegetarians and carnivores alike. Fresh from the Farm is for anyone looking for exciting new ways to prepare vegetable-centric dishes that range from starters to mains to desserts. While the emphasis is on recipes, this book is also a great read. As one reviewer observes:
"...the stories that Middleton shares make the book feel like an old
family cookbook that has been passed down from your great grandmother
with stories of her farm, and why she made each recipe. Middleton
embraces the family farm angle."
Taunton Press, 9781600859045, 249pp.
Publication Date: February 11, 2014