Bead Embroidery Chinese Style (Hardcover)
A Step-By-Step Visual Guide with Inspiring Projects
Reader's Digest Association, 9781602200388, 184pp.
Publication Date: March 26, 2019
List Price: 24.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
A delicate craft that has been handed down for thousands of years, bead embroidery was popular among the aristocrats in China's imperial courts and is an important part of modern haute couture, wedding dresses, and other accessories. A step-by-step guide to 25 unique embroidery designs, Bead Embroidery Chinese Style incorporates traditional Chinese design elements, including landscape paintings, bird and flower motifs, and famous poems. Projects are both beautiful and useful, and are simple enough for embroidery beginners. Readers will learn about:
- The different bead embroidery tools, techniques, and materials
- Over a dozen embroidery stitches for single-bead, multi-bead, free stitches, layered stitches, and more
- Small-scale embroidery projects, including jewelry, coasters, pouches, and silk scarves
- More advanced projects, including makeup bags, lamp covers, and wall art
About the Author
Han Yu studied bead embroidery at the embroidery school of Ecole Lesage, part of Chanel's Metiers d'art, and the Royal School of Needlework in the U.K. Upon graduation, she founded bead embroidery studio Gracey Han, where she designs and produces haute couture garments and accessories for Shanghai Fashion Week, Paris Fashion Week, and for state dignitaries and celebrities. She has been striving to share the art of bead embroidery by giving lectures to university students and teaching embroidery workshops across China.